Use FireFTP to carry around a lighter FTP application...WITHIN Firefox.
After using an FTP client for a while, it just seems like another application that I didn't feel like carrying around on a USB drive.
However, at 135k, FireFTP provides all of the features of a fully loaded FTP client with a small file size.
Check out the review of FireFTP in the Fireday area.
What are the default HTML settings for Cascading Style Sheets (CSS)?
Designers are using baseline, or "reset," style sheets more and more to clear out the existing settings of default styles in the browsers to create a more uniform way of designing web pages.
After looking at some recent polls about "Which CSS Reset do you use?", I thought about this in a different way.
Recently, I've been working on a project where I wanted all OL/UL tags to display a certain way throughout the entire pages, but at one section, I need the tags to display normally as if the CSS wasn't there.
In Firefox, tabs get a little too unruly. Use this extension to keep a reading list of your favorite posts.
If you've always wanted a way to mark specific posts or articles for viewing later (when you have the time) instead of using tabs, this week's extension called Read It Later! has a lot of great features geared towards a blogger or professional surfer.
What's the difference between an RSS feed and an EMail?
I've recently received an email from an individual asking me why I'd use an RSS feed as opposed to a regular email?
I've been using RSS since I've started my Micro ISV blog, but for those who don't know what an RSS feed is, I'll refer you to my Beginner's Guide To RSS.
Using a blog system, whether it's WordPress, TypePad, or Blogger, when a new article or post is published, the system automatically generates an RSS feed of your latest posts to an XML file. Your audience uses their Feed Reader to read that file and translate the format into something readable.
Quick Speed Links for Developers
- Mr. Attwood over at Coding Horror has a great post about The Years of Experience Myth and what programmers really excel at in their job.
- The Immutable Laws of Web Design and Development is a list of Murphy's laws that apply to the designer and development community. Great read!
- If you're undecided about a particular web framework, jump over to Solving IT Problems for the post entitled Choosing a web framework for rich internet enterprise application development and see for yourself how your web application should adjust to what users are used to.
Looking for a way to take your existing MS Office documents and conveniently edit them online?
If you work with MS Office documents remotely, then Google Documents is probably on your list of frequently visited web sites.
Then, this week's Firefox extension review explains how the gDocs Bar can be right at your side...(actually, sidebar) while on the road.
Tired of your Roxio burning software? Need to document your network? Check out these free utilities.
Over time, if you continue to pay for burning software or hire a contractor to document your network, the amount of money spent can become costly.
Fortunately, there are companies out there providing exceptional software that accomplishes both of these tasks.
First up is the site called MakeUseOf.com where they list all of The Best, Free Alternatives to Nero CD/DVD Burner software. One of the products on the list that I use the most is ImgBurn and loaded that on my portable USB drive.
SEO's and Webmasters will find this extension to be very helpful when analyzing ads on a web page.
The AdSense Preview extension allows webmasters and SEOs to actually see what results AdSense produces...without the fear of being banned by clicking on the ads.
Check out the AdSense Preview extension review here.
Here's some advice for freelancers on what to do and what not to do: John Rambo style.
After watching Rambo this weekend, I couldn't help but realize that John Rambo was a freelancer.
I'm not talking about the type of freelancer that goes crazy on clients the way Rambo attacked the enemy, but the way he handled himself before all of the fighting is what I'm referring to. Check out these similarities I noticed in the movie that relates to freelancers.
- When a job comes along, you don't HAVE to take it. Rambo has been through a lot in war and even the hint of gunpowder can make the man go crazy. Even though the crusade was trying to save lives and had good intentions, they didn't realize what they were getting into, but Rambo kept telling them to go home. He was going to be paid handsomely, but still declined the offer. Analyze the jobs that appear on your radar. You're a freelancer. Decide whether you want it or not.
- Always keep your cool. During the entire movie, John Rambo kept his cool and knew every situation he went into. If a client get out of hand, always remember to think about a situation before you speak. Possibly even diffuse the problem before it even becomes a problem.
- Don't let a loudmouth intimidate you.
This continues down the path of number 2. Lewis was pretty fierce in the movie and kept egging on John Rambo. But John Rambo didn't do anything. Heck, these were the guys who were going to help him even though Lewis kept pushing him. If someone is pressuring you or forcing you to get fired up, just keep this in mind: Most leaders keep their cool in hot situations and stay level-headed to make the right decisions. Don't let someone push you into making a rash decision. You may not like the outcome.
- Step up and take action! As residents of Burma were being forced to run across a water landmine-ridden field, most of the mercenaries were worried that they would be found out if they started attacking. This was the fear factor setting in. They were there to do a job and, in my eyes, they failed at that point. If you are there to do a job or have a project that you even think will start making you money, don't sit around and wish the problems away or think you can't do it. You attack and start the ball rolling (even if the loudmouth doesn't start doing anything). Remember, action speaks louder than words.
- Know when to pull out the big guns. Near the end of the movie, John Rambo got out the big guns. He saved the mercenaries who were near the boat because he knew he needed help. When you are knee-deep in bad guys or projects, know when to ask for assistance instead of trying to take on everything yourself. If you need help, pull out your big guns (your contacts in your network) and see if anyone can help with your projects.
I watched the movie last night (Sunday) and I thought it was pretty good. A LOT of killing, so make sure you don't take your 10 year old to go see the movie (which I saw a couple bring their 9-10 year old to watch it).
Realize the bugs in your web application with the Selenium IDE...within your browser.
Who would've thought that a full IDE could be hidden in an extension?
If you're into Quality Assurance when it comes to web applications, check out this week's Fireday extension review of the Selenium IDE.
Enjoy the review!